Art Week/Techbasel will soon be underway. We’ve got some highlights for you in this holiday edition of our news roundup.
Interested in Web3? Techbasel has you covered.
FTX fallout and crypto winter? The show must go on. There are four (4!) web3 conferences going on around the same time during Techbasel (check out the links for ticket information), in addition to numerous web3 focused networking events around the city:
- Miami Web3 Summit, Nov. 28-30, InterContinental Miami. Featured speakers include: Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, US Sen. Cynthia Lummis, and investors Tim Draper and Anthony “Pomp” Pompiano.
- DCentral Miami, Nov. 28-29, James L Knight Center, Miami: Featured speakers include: Grammy winner Timbaland, Super Bowl champion Warren Sapp, and investors Baron Davis and Miko Matsumura.
- Metaverse Miami, Nov. 28-30, Eden Roc, Miami Beach. Featured speakers include: Keith A Grossman, president of TIME; Avery Akkineni of Vayner3; Julian Jolguin of Doodles; Andrew Wang of UTA.
- Web3 Summit / Women Web3 Miami, Nov. 30-Dec 1, Miami Airport Convention Center. Featured speakers include: Anastasia Drinevskaya, CEO of Cointelegraph; YouTuber Ben Armstrong; “Queen of Clubhouse” Swan Sit; performing artist Creatress and pitch competition.
As you can see, they all overlap. Good luck making your choices.
Like experiential events? There is nothing like Art Week for that.
Here are a few of the offerings.
- Mana Common and web3 platform nft now will hosting an immersive NFT showcase that will stretch across 12 buildings and two city blocks in downtown’s Flagler District. The Gateway: a web3 metropolis will feature activations by Christie’s, Instagram, Nike, Porsche and others, more than 50 artists participating, and speakers including Gary Vaynerchuk of Vayner Media and Ivan Soto-Wright of MoonPay. The 5-day festival, free and open to the registered public, will transform the heart of Downtown Miami into a world of web3 immersive installations spanning art, music, gaming, tech and culture. The program runs from Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, noon to 9 p.m. daily.
- The annual FilmGate Interactive Media Festival is Nov. 28-Dec. 5 at various locations in Miami and Miami Beach and this year it is all about VR and XR. The 8 day festival will feature mind-bending storytelling with screenings, immersive and interactive exhibits, dome performances, creative labs, master classes, panel discussions, live music and dance performances. Full program of free and ticketed experiences: https://www.filmgate.miami/09
- BitBasel is back with five days of multisensory experiences during Miami Art Week. That includes curating one of the largest collections of NFTs and hosting a series of events promoting the education and widespread adoption of blockchain technology. Event info here.
- Don’t forget to make time to pop into the new Blackdove Art Gallery in Wynwood, which will be hosting a number of events and motion art activations. Also, a Doodles NFT event, “DoodlePutt,” will present a 2-day immersive activation Dec. 1 and 2nd that features a 9-hole mini-putt course that brings to life the Doodles universe.
- Breonna’s Garden, an augmented reality experience created by Lady PheOnix and Sutu in honor of Breonna Taylor in collaboration with her family Tamika and Ju’Niyah Palmer, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year. The project will be exhibited in Maurice A. Ferré Park garden between the PAMM and Frost museums in collaboration with FilmGate Interactive 10 am-5 pm daily Dec 1-5 and the project’s executive director, former Miamian Joanna Popper and will be in a panel discussion at the PAMM Sunday Dec 5 at 1-3pm.
- Check out “Projections of a Coral City” on the outside of the Arsht Center’s Knight Concert Hall, the largest projection of corals ever presented. Visible from 6 pm – midnight Nov. 29-Dec 3.
Get hired or find your next employee at the hiring fair
The Venture Miami Tech Hiring Fair is back! With dozens of companies seeking to fill hundreds of tech roles, job seekers should come with resume in hand and ready to interview.
Hiring companies range from large companies such as Amazon, Microsoft, FPL, TradeStation and Kaseya to startups like Papa, Milo, Zigazoo and Neocis, among many others. The event, from 4-7 pm Nov. 29 on Miami Dade College’s Wolfson campus, is free but job seekers should sign up here.
Want the lowdown on all the happenings? Here are some guides
Like last year, the #MiamiTech event calendar is packed and Ja’dan Johson has you covered with techbasel.com, a spreadsheet listing of what’s when and where. At last count there was over 130 events – including conferences, networking events, pitch events, the Tech Insiders’ Brunch, happy hours, and yacht parties.
And here’s a thread with some of his favorites:
Techbaselweek.com is another good source. And we love our Twitter sourced suggestions too, like this one:
And don’t forget the ART! The Miami Herald has a comprehensive insider’s guide to rt Week to you will want to check out here and the lowdown on art fairs here. Find the Herald’s coverage of Black and Basel here and neighborhood happenings here.
What will you wear? If you’re a male, Michelle Abbs also has some suggestions in this thread!
What we are giving thanks for this year
This weekend is a time to reflect and slow down — a time to count our blessings and give thanks for what we have. At Refresh Miami News, we give thanks for this exciting #MiamiTech community we cover, stretching from Homestead through West Palm Beach. We are thankful for your support, in sponsorships and donations, most recently for Give Miami Day, that make our work possible. And most of all, as the community has grown, our readership has too. We are thankful for you, our readers, the OGs and the newly arrived and everyone in between.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone and we’ll see you next week!
See below for some regularly scheduled programing.
- Founders have the chance to win $400,000 in investments at eMerge Americas’ Global Startup Showcase in Miami Beach. 100 startups – a mix of university, early-state and later-stage ventures — will be selected to showcase their company at the two-day event April 20-21. Learn more and apply here by Dec. 20.
- Florida Venture Forum, Florida’s largest statewide support organization for investors and entrepreneurs, is calling for growth stage companies to apply to present at the 2023 Florida Venture Capital Conference, taking place at the J.W. Marriott on Brickell Avenue in Miami on February 8-9, 2023. The Conference, now in its 32nd year, attracts 500+ attendees, including 200+ active venture investors. Apply to present here. Final application deadline is Jan. 6
- The first-ever American Metaverse Awards will be held March 30, 2023 in Miami, with the goal to connect and build relationships among up-and-coming new companies, brands and large corporations embracing Web 3.0 and the Metaverse. Award nominations are being accepted through Nov. 25th. There are 22 Awards categories and organizers expect more than 100 companies to be “Short-Listed” as finalists. Click here for entry rules and to make nominations.
- Seaworthy Collective, a Miami-based BlueTech community and venture studio, is opening applications for its flagship Venture Studio program, with cohort 3 launching in March 2023. The venture studio hosts 12-week cohorts that consist of two types of program participants: aspiring founders co-creating new startups and current founders growing existing startups. As the first BlueTech venture studio in the United States, Seaworthy says it works to not only co-create individual solutions, but also build systems of solutions. Current and aspiring founders worldwide are encouraged to apply on the Seaworthy website.
- Get tips today? Get paid today, thanks to Broward-born Clockout
- Novo nabs $35M from GGV Capital to expand small business banking platform
- The future is augmented reality, says Magic Leap CEO Peggy Johnson. Find out why
- Miami is becoming a hub for cross-border payments – here’s how
- From #MiamiTech to Toyland, here’s some big news: Caribu has joined Mattel
- Meet the Miami company transforming food waste into carbon credits
- What’s the lowdown on funding for female-founded startups? Pitchbook report and local data shed light
- Former Bain investor aims to make magic in Miami with new $30M consumer web3 fund
- 2,000-employee Anaplan to relocate its HQ to Miami early next year - September 18, 2023
- eMerge Americas releases 1H 2023 VC report: We have the story behind the numbers - September 13, 2023
- Brightline kicks off Orlando service Sept. 22 - September 13, 2023